Book Title: Genius Denied: How to Stop Wasting Our Brightest Young Minds
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Author: Jan Davidson
- Parenting Gifted Kids: Tips for Raising Happy and Successful Gifted Children
- Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings (2nd ed.)
- Living With Intensity: Understanding the Sensitivity, Excitability, and the Emotional Development of Gifted Children, Adolescents, and Adults
- Re-Forming Gifted Education: How Parents and Teachers Can Match the Program to the Child
- The Survival Guide for Parents of Gifted Kids: How to Understand, Live With, and Stick Up for Your Gifted Child
- Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults: ADHD, Bipolar, OCD, Asperger's, Depression, and Other Disorders (2nd Edition)
- Bright Not Broken: Gifted Kids, ADHD, and Autism
- Twice-Exceptional Gifted Children: Understanding, Teaching, and Counseling Gifted Students
- Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers
With all the talk of failing schools these days, we often forget that schools can fail their brightest students too. Gifted children forced into a "one size fits all" approach to schooling find themselves bored or frustrated, which can lead to underachievement, behavioral problems, or depression. Without sufficient challenges and resources, say Jan and Bob Davidson, America's brightest young minds languish, never reaching their full potential. Society can't afford that loss.
In Genius Denied,
the Davidsons -- founders of a nonprofit institute that provides assistance to gifted children -- offer hope and practical advice to parents and students alike. Through their own experiences and those of the families they've worked with, the Davidsons show parents how to find an appropriate education for their children, when to go outside the school system, and how to create a support network with school authorities and other parents. Genius Denied
shows that with commitment and creativity, gifted students can get the education they deserve, one that nurtures their talents and minds.